Sunday, April 8, 2007

Jobs

I work at Disc Replay and KB Toys. Every time I use the register, I feel myself getting lazier and lazier. I get so used to looking at a screen and seeing the exact change I have to give to the costumer. We can only blame ourselves for students wanting to use calculators for everything. I see why we have computers and registers that do the change for us though. Costumers want to make sure that they are getting the right amount of change back. I don't know how many times I have given bills and coins to costumers and they don't even count it. They just assume that I know how to make change and that I gave them the right amount. I always count out at least the bills to the costumer so that they are aware that I did give them the right amount. On Saturday, the manager at KB Toys was training a guy that he just hired. The guy hit the cash button and then he hit the enter button which told the register that the costumer was paying with cash and that they paid with the exact amount. The guy had to figure it out in his head. I was surprised when he got it right. It's nothing against his ability to do math. It was just that I assumed that he would not be able to figure it out. I don't know how many times I find myself balancing my check book and I pull out my calculator. I realize that it is so much quicker to just to hit some buttons and get the answer. This is why we have calculators, to make our lives easier. I am just afraid that in the future, no one will be able to do math without a calculator.

No comments: